Alice in Biryaniland!

My first job..a new city..a new house.. a new language..and a whole new culture. Parson ich aaye miyan (literally meaning “day before oni”, but implyingà in the recent past)
As I said..a whole new culture!

To be honest the first time I was in Hyderabad; and that was for a conference three years ago; I was pleasantly surprised by the lavishness of it all. Hum Dilli and Bangalore walon ko aur kuch posh lagta hi nai ;) But really, Hyd was glorious with its small cute home bakeries on a beautiful small lane that led to a grand road with a grand mall. There was a “crowd”, there were “hangouts”, and there was a sense of youthfulness.

Three years later I’m 5 kms away from the famous Chaarminar (haven’t managed a trip yet) and I’m looking for a café that serves more than “hot coffee” or “cold coffee”. On some days I’m lucky enough to see a board that says “capuchino”.

And before I start sounding like one of those “dilli ki ladki” (which I’m not! I’m not..I’m not..more on that later) I just want to say that it was the contrast that really hit me. And Nothing else. Nothing.

Sometimes, we need to give ourselves some time..to absorb things..to accept the change or the shock in this case! I have given myself almost 4 months now and this is where I find myself:-

So the local crowd in the area around the hospital gave me this feeling that they were constantly mad at someone, constantly aware of how great they were and constantly ready to ram into anything that moves. With wheels or feet. Fact.

People driving on the wrong side would flash you with crazy headlights and of course facial expressions that would work all the 42 odd facial muscles and some would even use their upper extremities to express their displeasure at your “right” side driving. I mean how daring of me! Gee!

The hospital staff on the other hand was extremely warm, kind, helpful and really really cool. They all come from adjoining areas and so something didn’t quite really add up. So one day, when I felt I was a friend enough to not get killed for asking such a deep, meaningful, full of judgement question; I did. I asked them point blank: tell me why do they drive like this and who the hell do they think they really are. The response was simple. “Unho aise ich rehte madame..aap khaali peeli panga mat lo..kaiko bole toh bhot attitude rehta..koi kisi na nai sunta.. yahan aise ich chalta” to which they also added : “aap bhi aise ich ho jaate.. unha k jaise..dekho”  

The last bit was obviously something that irked me. I would never be like that.
No, I wouldn’t drive on the wrong side. (I have now..twice only..but still) and I definitely wouldn’t curse the person who’s driving right. (This I really haven’t done….well..not yet!)

It’s taken me 4 months to realise that people are people. Whether they come across as angry or calm, sensible or senseless..it really doesn’t matter. What matters is how I handle the situation. That in fact is the only thing I can have a handle on. What irked me earlier is amusing now; because I see a pattern. There’s a method to the madness. And it grows on you. The grumpy uncles in a queue, the complaining aunties at the shop, students who have made their life mission to not just imitate the Tollywood icons but “believe” that they are indeed one with them. You start growing accustomed to it. You almost start liking it.

So now, I don’t shout out at a two wheeler who overtakes me from the wrong side an inch away from the turn. I actually notice how he managed that without scratching either of the vehicles. I’d like to make it clear that I don’t condone disobeying traffic rules at all..but this is top class driving man!

I actually enjoy the “juice” outside the “coffee shop” and the background radio that is somehow playing the same Bhojpuri song. Or maybe they all sound alike. I don’t know.

If and when my “nice” hospital staff gives me attitude I can playfully tell them “don’t go all hyderabadi on me” and it’s all okay!

The Mysore bajji in Hyderabad is basically the Goli bajje of Mangalore. And as much as I miss my mangalore food..the hyderabadis sure know how to cook!

And even though it’s a long drive away, but the glorious part of the city is still quite glorious and more and it is refreshing to actually juggle between the two. It give more meaning to the phrase work hard and party harder.. cuz one really has to work hard to get to the party place! Traffic is terminal! Jokes apart, the city sure has its charm.

I have a place of my own, for the first time in my life. I try to run it with a clockwork efficiency that only I can understand and modify. I feel more independent than I ever have. The crazy angry crowd is an inspiration to stand up for whatever the hell you believe in ;)
                                                                                                                                    
I don’t quite know whether I’d leave Hyderabad with a sigh of relief or a heavy heart when the time comes. But I sure know this: “hum bhi unha ke jaise ho toh jaate..thoda hi sahi..but hote toh miyan!”


  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FOREWORD

For the Women-kind