Down The Rabbit-Hole
Yup! I can see it! It's a long, dark, deep, endless hole and I'm only raring to take the plunge! For all those who are thinking this is Alice-the gardener speaking..Well you couldn't be more wrong. I'm talking about peeking inside a hole that has the signpost of "COLLEGE" dug right beside it. What awaits me..I don't know. What is expected of me..I don't know again. All I know is that I've waited long enough for this and I truly deserve it.
OK, confession time..Dental (yeah, BDS) wasn't my first preference. But after watching the "good" Medical seats waving their Bye Byes at me("good", coz I didn't want the second rate colleges that were being offered) as I sat in the counseling hall AND after the one doctor I respect the most, brainwashed me with a one hour lecture on how good dental is for "girls", I went for it! Do I regret it, you ask? NOT in the least. I don't regret decisions that have been made, I don't feel sorry for them later. And much though the idea of "destiny" does not appeal to me, I surely do think whatever happens, happens for the best. Period.
So..where was I? Yeah, the Rabbit Hole! Well I spent nearly a week in a new hostel, surrounded by new people, new walls, new furniture, new food...a new Wonderland! And a wonderland it for sure is! How? Well, simply because Alice is unsure, she's uncertain, she's a little perplexed, a little frustrated, a little annoyed and maybe even a little homesick...ok, ok..remove the maybe, but the little stays.. ;)
Alice - The Fresher, is asked to wish her seniors. Seniors she doesn't even know, seniors she'd like to know someday though..and how does one spot a senior?? It is DAMN easy. Whenever you come across a female walking down the corridor, staring right ahead, with a gait that's neither too swift, nor too slow....THERE!! Good Morning MA'AM!! easy no? I think so too..
As for the college..well our classes didn't really start off. The only eventful day being the one, where we were lead to the dissection hall and they brought out the "Dead Guyz". One after the other, the no. of gurneys increasing by the second. Ok wait, did i sound insensitive when i said "dead guyz"? Lemme clear this up then..insensitive, i'm not and according to a lot of people, practicality is wayyy out of my reach too. But somehow, on seeing what i saw that day, after an initial gasp of "Oh! Goodness!", i knew sensitivity had to walk out..to make space for an ounce of practicality and a whole lot of focus! And the latter two had to be covered with a blanket of insensitivity...without which, both of 'em would have no meaning. I was amazed then, by how fast my mind was telling me things. "Don't feel sorry for them coz like it or not, they ARE dead. Nothing you do, can change THAT! Infact, if at all you want to feel sorry..look around..you'll find plenty of reasons! You're in the vicinity of a HOSPITAL for crying out loud! and then think, if your knowledge(gained in this dissection hall) is going to, someday, help reduce the suffering of the ones living..isn't it ALL worth it??"
Believe it or not, this lil lecture helped me to get past that class. However, later in the day (somehow 'later' is always a good time to think objectively) I couldn't help thinking how unfortunate those people were. I mean, usually these are the unclaimed bodies, UNCLAIMED. No one to take them to a place called home, where "their" people mourn their death. Remember times spent with them and feel true pain. Shed a tear, not beacuse it's a mourning ceremony, but coz it all seems wrong!! Terribly wrong! And as if all this wasn't enough they end up in some medical college, as a lab specimen!! But then again, the lil voice in my head speaks up and the message is conveyed. "If, after they're dead, they still are in a position to help prevent another one(even if indirectly so) and if they could somehow be made aware of this fact...wouldn't they find comfort in it?? Wherever they are?? If at all, they are??" Alice is not so sure...
OK, confession time..Dental (yeah, BDS) wasn't my first preference. But after watching the "good" Medical seats waving their Bye Byes at me("good", coz I didn't want the second rate colleges that were being offered) as I sat in the counseling hall AND after the one doctor I respect the most, brainwashed me with a one hour lecture on how good dental is for "girls", I went for it! Do I regret it, you ask? NOT in the least. I don't regret decisions that have been made, I don't feel sorry for them later. And much though the idea of "destiny" does not appeal to me, I surely do think whatever happens, happens for the best. Period.
So..where was I? Yeah, the Rabbit Hole! Well I spent nearly a week in a new hostel, surrounded by new people, new walls, new furniture, new food...a new Wonderland! And a wonderland it for sure is! How? Well, simply because Alice is unsure, she's uncertain, she's a little perplexed, a little frustrated, a little annoyed and maybe even a little homesick...ok, ok..remove the maybe, but the little stays.. ;)
Alice - The Fresher, is asked to wish her seniors. Seniors she doesn't even know, seniors she'd like to know someday though..and how does one spot a senior?? It is DAMN easy. Whenever you come across a female walking down the corridor, staring right ahead, with a gait that's neither too swift, nor too slow....THERE!! Good Morning MA'AM!! easy no? I think so too..
As for the college..well our classes didn't really start off. The only eventful day being the one, where we were lead to the dissection hall and they brought out the "Dead Guyz". One after the other, the no. of gurneys increasing by the second. Ok wait, did i sound insensitive when i said "dead guyz"? Lemme clear this up then..insensitive, i'm not and according to a lot of people, practicality is wayyy out of my reach too. But somehow, on seeing what i saw that day, after an initial gasp of "Oh! Goodness!", i knew sensitivity had to walk out..to make space for an ounce of practicality and a whole lot of focus! And the latter two had to be covered with a blanket of insensitivity...without which, both of 'em would have no meaning. I was amazed then, by how fast my mind was telling me things. "Don't feel sorry for them coz like it or not, they ARE dead. Nothing you do, can change THAT! Infact, if at all you want to feel sorry..look around..you'll find plenty of reasons! You're in the vicinity of a HOSPITAL for crying out loud! and then think, if your knowledge(gained in this dissection hall) is going to, someday, help reduce the suffering of the ones living..isn't it ALL worth it??"
Believe it or not, this lil lecture helped me to get past that class. However, later in the day (somehow 'later' is always a good time to think objectively) I couldn't help thinking how unfortunate those people were. I mean, usually these are the unclaimed bodies, UNCLAIMED. No one to take them to a place called home, where "their" people mourn their death. Remember times spent with them and feel true pain. Shed a tear, not beacuse it's a mourning ceremony, but coz it all seems wrong!! Terribly wrong! And as if all this wasn't enough they end up in some medical college, as a lab specimen!! But then again, the lil voice in my head speaks up and the message is conveyed. "If, after they're dead, they still are in a position to help prevent another one(even if indirectly so) and if they could somehow be made aware of this fact...wouldn't they find comfort in it?? Wherever they are?? If at all, they are??" Alice is not so sure...
Comments